This fully equipped traditional, charming, cosy cottage on Grimsay was recently renovated and the perfect base for exploring dazzling white sandy beaches, machair and moorland.
The original whitehouse overlooks a pretty waterlily loch named after its wild duck population, Loch nan Lach and was built circa 1955 by my father and grandfather from local stone. Some of the stones were transported from the nearby island of Ronay and the bigger ones broken on the shore with fire and water. With this amazing history, the cottage was extended and rebuilt from the inside, keeping these four outer walls intact.
The downstairs accommodation comprises porch with original church pews, living room with multi-fuel stove, solid oak floors and doors, beautiful oak finished kitchen/diner, bathroom with electric shower over bath and double bedroom. The feature mantelpiece was once part of a shipwrecked beam of wood, brought to shore by my grandfather, originally used to support the downstairs floor. This was salvaged and refurbished in his memory.
Upstairs has a double room with toilet and whb, twin room and a quiet space to enjoy fabulous views to loch, hill and sea.
The refurbished kitchen opens onto a secluded patio with uninterrupted, wilderness moorland views. This tranquil space is a favourite with guests. Savour the silence here with a freshly brewed cup of coffee in the morning, or a crisp, cool glass of wine in the evening to wind down after the events of the day. Enjoy stunning sunsets and the wonderful quality of the light, which with no pollution, is a joy to behold. In winter, the night sky is ever changing. Whether it's the black of night or bathed in moonlight; lit by the twinkling of myriad stars or the Aurora Borealis in the northern skies, you'll want to come back for more.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Sealladh Eabhal||from £695.00 to £925.00 per unit per week|
*Open for the 2021 season as soon as Covid travel restrictions are eased.
- Holiday Rentals - Weekly rentals in high season and shorter breaks possible during low season.
- Self Catering Holiday
- Eating Out Facilities within 2 miles - Na Mara seafood café for lunches and late opening some evenings for meals. Ceann na h-Airidh community café offering lunchtime menu..very good coffee! Also has a Post Office, a weekly market selling local produce and occasionally hosts walks and talks.
- Children Welcome - Over 5 years of age.
- Outdoor Play Area - Fenced natural wild garden with marshland inside fenced area at the back.
- Dishwasher - Tablets provided.
- Electric Cooker
- Hairdryer Available - One in each bedroom
- Heating Throughout Property - Instant heat from state-of-the-art digital electronic radiators.
- Iron Available
- Ironing Facilities
- Kitchen - Fully equipped kitchen, all the usual appliances. For the perfect latte, an espresso coffee machine, a cafetière and coffee pot for 4, all take ground coffee. Tea-towels, oven glove and washing up materials provided, including dishwasher tabs and liquid.
- Linen Provided - Linen provided but during Covid times guests may wish to bring their own bed linen, towels, tea towels and oven glove.
- Multi Fuel Wood Burning Stove - Wood and peat recommended.
- Shared Bathroom - Quality toiletries from the Highland Soap company
- Shower - Electric shower over bath.
- Toilets - Two in total, one upstairs and one downstairs. Quality hand wash in both.
- Towels Provided - All provided normally but guests may wish to bring their own during Covid times.
- Wash Hand Basin
- Washing Machine - Eco washing powder provided. Please don't use fabric conditioner as this is environmentally damaging to our natural soak away waste system.
- WC EnSuite - Toilet and whb in double bedroom upstairs.
- Internet Access - Free unlimited broadband. The TV has an HDMI port, please bring a suitable cable if you wish to stream programmes.
- No Smoking Permitted - No smoking anywhere in or around the property. Due enormous local wildfires recently, please be very wary of any naked flame anywhere on the islands as, even with recent rain, grass and heather can quickly become tinder dry with the wind and fires can spread uncontrollably in minutes.
- Picnic Area - Patio to rear of cottage with solid wooden garden furniture..more in shed. Beware of stray sparks if lighting a BBQ especially after a long period of dry weather as the heather can catch fire very easily and spread out of control rapidly and the fire services are at least 30 mins away.
Health & Wellbeing
- Indoor Swimming Pool - On Benbecula approx 8 mls away.
- French Speaking
- Gaelic Speaking
- German Speaking
- CD Player - Radio/CD player.
- DVD Player - Integral with TV. Slot in right hand side of TV.
- Garden - Natural wild garden
- Hi-Fi - Sonos Smart Speaker.
- Indoor Recreational Facilities - TV with integrated DVD player, DVDs Digital radio available through Satellite TV Sonos Smart Speaker for streaming music etc FM radio/CD player [DAB radio reception poor] Books and maps Jigsaws.
- Outdoor Recreational Facilities - Barbecue and garden furniture kept in shed Binoculars for birdwatching.
- Radio - Fm radio as DAB reception is poor
- Satellite / Cable TV - Freesat TV The TV has an HDMI port, please bring a suitable cable if you wish to stream programmes.
- WiFi - Free unlimited WiFi
- Island Location - Grimsay is a small tidal island with a circular single track road connected to the larger islands of Benbecula and North Uist by causeways built in the 1960s. Despite its size it has lots to see and do with boat trips, the busy Kallin Harbour, Na Mara Chandlery & Café, the Community Centre Café & Post Office with the adjoining Boat Haven, and nearby Woollen Mill & shop.
- Lochside Location
- Rural Location
- Sea/Loch View
- Village Location - Ceallan (Kallin) is part of a line village which circles the island with all houses close to the sea as boats were the only means of transport until the causeways were built in the 60s. Subsequently a circular road was completed in the 70s. Wild moorland and lochs dominate the centre of the island.
- Bank Transfers Accepted
- Cash - Bank transfer
- Children Welcome - Over 5 years of age
- Families - Cottage unsuitable for under 5s
- No Pets Allowed
- Non smokers
- Senior Citizens - Note only 1 bedroom is on the ground floor, 2 bedrooms are upstairs.
- Single Travellers - No under 25s
- Young People - Over 25's and no parties.
- Bike Storage Available - In shed
- Free Parking On-Site - Gated, private parking for 2 cars
- Private Parking - Gated, private parking for 2 cars