This North Uist Self Catering accommodation is in the heart of bird watching heaven.
Spot eagles, peregrine falcons, hen harriers, buzzards and ravens. The corncrakes arrive in May and call from the garden.
From the house walk, cycle or drive the short distance southwards towards Balranald Bird Reserve to enjoy the glittering sands and jewel like machair flowers.
The cottage has a roomy kitchen well equipped with crockery, cooking utensils, a larder fridge/freezer, electric cooker, microwave, slow cooker, washing machine, drying pully and dishwasher.
For family entertainment there is a radio/cd/tape player with a selection of audible stories, an array of board games, jigsaw puzzles for all ages.The bookcase holds novels, books on local history, flora and fauna.
This was the home of the Bard Aonghas Lachlainn Bhig author of Eilean Uibhist Mo Ruin, recorded by Julie Fowles and the band Trail West.
The croft house retains its original 1930’s wood lining creating a cosy ambiance. There is central heating throughout for your comfort and an open fireplace in the living room.
In the generous area outside the house there is a washing line and ample space to sit or play and it offers plenty off road parking.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|The Old Shop||£721.00 per unit per week|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- By Car
- By Cycle
- Self Catering Holiday
- Eating Out Facilities within 2 miles - Westford inn, about 10 minutes drive south towards Clachan. Langass Lodge: 20 minutes drive turn off at Clachan on to the the Lochmaddy road, then just after the hatchery turn off at signs.
- Shop within 2 Miles / Mobile Shop - A general store with petrol
- Snack Bar - there is a snack bar on the Machair at Goular, Hougharry. Which is about 15 minutes walk way from the house. Also a snack bar at Struan, about 10 minutes drive towards Sollas.
- Children Welcome - There are boardgames, jigsaw puzzles and play mobile toys available in the house and various outdoor games in the lean-to.
- Cot Available - 1 x travel cot and two baby high chairs.
- Highchair Available - x 2
- Indoor Play Area
- Outdoor Play Area
- Electric Cooker - There is also a family sized slow cooker which can be set in the morning for a meal to be ready on return from a day out.
- Electric Shaver Point
- Hairdryer Available
- Heating Throughout Property
- Iron Available - And ironing board
- Linen Provided - All cotton and linen bedding
- Open Hearth Fire
- Shared Bathroom
- Shower - There is an upstairs shower/ toilet as well as downstairs bathroom/toilet.
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Disabled Access - The ground floor only is accessible for the disabled.
- No Smoking Permitted
- Picnic Area - There is a moveable picnic table in the garden.
- Smoking Restricted
- French Speaking
- CD Player
- Gift Shop - There is a Gallery of Art work and cards in the actual Old Shop which is open at various times.
- No Television
- Coastal Location
- Island Location
- Property On Farm - On a croft
- Rural Location
- Sea/Loch View - The house is a few minutes walk from the beach at Hòglan and a 10 minute walk from the Machair at Hougharry. Views over the Atlantic towards St Kilda.
- Bank Transfers Accepted - Contact Mrs Maclellan.
- Allergy Sufferers - No feather soft furnishings/pillows/duvets covered by protectors
- Business Travellers
- Children Welcome - There are two baby chairs and an old fashioned travel cot available. There are board games, jigsaw puzzles and play mobile toys.
- Disabled Citizens - the ground floor is accessable.
- Dogs Welcome - Dogs are welcome with the agreement that they are kept under control while on the croft , that all mess is collected and that they are confined to the kitchen and porch when in the house. The kitchen is a generous size and is most often used as a family room with comfortable seating. A child gate separates the kitchen from the main living area.
- Groups Welcome
- Pets Welcome By Arrangement - Dogs are welcome with the agreement that they are kept under control while on the croft , that all mess is collected and that they are confined to the kitchen and porch when in the house. The kitchen is a generous size with comfortable seating and is most often used as a family room. There is a gate between the kitchen and the main living area.
- Senior Citizens
- Single Travellers
- Young People
- Bike Storage Available
- On Public Transport Route - Bus service