AboutThe bridge to nowhere was so named because today the bridge does actually lead anywhere at all - once over the bridge - there is just a "kind of rough path" which runs a mile or so along the cliff tops - and is very scenic - then peters out onto a route that is marked for walkers by way markers - however the route is over the boggy, peaty moorland tops and approximately 11 miles and fairly tough walking.
The bridge to nowhere - sometimes called Garry Bridge lies beyond the Tolsta Village - and is on the route of what was to be Lord Leverhulme's new route to Ness. It spans the deep gorge - overlooking the lovely Garry beach - one of the prettiest in the Outer Hebrides. The bridge has a height of 50ft and a width of 100 feet. It is built of reenforced concrete and it has nine arches.
Lord Leverhulme owned the Isle of Lewis from 1918 - 1923.