As part of our efforts to ensure that visitors will continue to enjoy the Outer Hebrides, we have a social and environmental responsibility to make sure holidays on our islands continue to be sustainable.
We take climate change very seriously and there have been many local initiatives to reduce our carbon footprint.
- We are now more energy efficient, thanks to our Energy Isles Project, where 300 tourism businesses across the islands used advice and grants to make a difference through measures such as upgrading to LED lighting, better insulation and replacing old appliances with new energy efficient ones. Find out more
- The islands make a lot of our own energy, from renewable sources such as the sun and wind and are exploring ways of generating power from the sea.
- We produce an abundance of local food on our islands – from hand dived scallops to the famous Stornoway black pudding produced by local butchers - check out our Eat Drink Hebrides Trail
- We actively encourage low carbon travel with lots of cycling and walking trails on offer and a good bus service which connects communities. There is also the opportunity to hire electric vehicles
- Recycling is important to us and we actively promote the 3 R's - Reduce, Recycle and Reuse. We have lots of recycling points throughout the islands and would appreciate if visitors used these points to dispose of all recyclable waste. Find out more
We have a rich natural environment where wildlife thrive and a large percentage of it is designated for nature conservation purposes, indeed the island of St Kilda has UNESCO Dual World Hertitage status. There are simple things visitors can help us with to protect our environment and wildlife - see some tips in the Outdoor Access Code.
Our islands are also home to an exceptional cultural heritage with lots of accessible archaeological sites and many buildings and areas of outstanding architectural and amenity value.
Search See & Do
Search What's On
Search Food & Drink
Use the Itinerary Planner to plan your perfect holiday, then either book it yourself or send it to our local holiday operator partner for a complete quotation.
Build your own itineraries by clicking the button to add an item to your Itinerary basket.
If you already have an itinerary saved, you can access it below.
Our holiday operator partner, Hebridean Hopscotch Holidays, is a fully bonded operator with many years experience in providing individually arranged holidays in the Outer Hebrides. Their holiday advisers live locally and they can discuss your plans, offer advice, submit a firm holiday quotation and, if acceptable, arrange all your sea or air travel, accommodation and activities to suit your requirements. Use our expertise to get the most out of your holiday.