AboutThe church was built from around 1520 by Alexander MacLeod of Dunvegan and Harris. The Countess of Dunmore restored it in 1873. The tower was restored after being struck by lightning in 1907. The church is now in the care of Historic Scotland
The church is widely thought to be the grandest medieval building in the Outer Hebrides. It fell into disuse following the reformation in 1560, although it is now often used for weddings.
Photographs are usually taken from just inside the entrance gate to the churchyard or from a small rocky crag situated to the north east of the village. The light is best here early morning or late evening springtime through to autumn.